Sunday, December 13, 2009

The AV Club Best of the Decade

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-best-comics-of-the-00s,35713/

Now, I haven't read all of these, but I suggest Blankets (and Goodbye, Chunky Rice), the Goon, Promethea (a comic about magic with some fuckin' amazing art) and Criminal. James Kolchaka and American Elf isn't really my thing, Chris Ware is amazing, but too cerebral and depressing. Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely are really quite astounding, Quitley is one of, if not my most, favorite artist in the comics world, David Mazzucchelli (which I cut and paste), is amazing, but I haven't read Asterios Pop yet, Black Hole is something my brother thinks is a wank fantasy, the art is beautiful, but otherwise..., Box Office Poison is always something I think I should pick up, but put off, Bendis' Daredevil was good, but not mind-blowing, A New Frontier is well executed, Darwyn Cooke is an amazing draftsmen and grand writer, but it seems like it's trying to be too epic. All of these comics are great in their own right, but the list itself seems like one big exercise on how obscure and great the people choosing these comics are.

They missed The Walking Dead for fuck's sake, a zombie-a-thon like no other and many others. Tell you what, I'm making my own fuckin' list.

It will be here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment