Friday, February 4, 2011

The Moving Pictures

Every once in awhile I pick up a comic and it blows my mind. I was Orc-Stained a couple of months ago, I just fucking love James Stokoe's boldness in having the hacking off of a cock as a major plot piece, and just showing so damn much of it all over his comic. That, coupled with majorly detailed artwork, one-of-a-kind color, and the fact that the fucker is doing the entire mag himself is CRAZY, but those types of people come out of the west coast of Canada.

Preacher was a huge comic for me. Huge. Glenn Fabry on covers, Steve Dillon on art, and Garth Ennis writing, the first GN and the last, were so fuckin' amazing. I'm a lapsed catholic, so when I start to think about how amazing it is to have a protagonist that has the voice of God and is hunting him down...WOW. Mixed with vampires, westerns, and a whole shitload of other stuff. A Saint of Killers? My mind was melted by this book, but the whole run was cemented in my head because of the love story between Jesse and Tulip. What a love story! Seriously.

I've mentioned Transmet before. It was an anti-establishment rant to the Nth degree right when I wanted and needed that the most. It doesn't hold up for me so much on re-reading, but Spider Jerusalem and the world that Darrick Robertson built around him was like diving into a bowl of electric eels. So good.

Will Eisner's The Dreamer. As a creative person in this field, if you don't like this book I don't understand you. So Eisner, so beautiful, it helps me get through long days of lettering and editing.

But I don't want this to be a list. There are so many comics I can talk about. Blankets, Stuck Rubber Baby, All Star Superman, and more that I am forgetting.

I want to talk a little about Daytripper, because this is the closest comic that has moved me. This book has made me want to abandon my project and work on something with more weight to it. Just take Foreign Matter and dump it in the garbage and start again. I won't do that, but when you come across something as touching as this comic it makes you feel smaller as an artist.

I don't want to spoil anything, but this comic has something I haven't seen in awhile. It has a fantastic realism to it that brings you so into the book, so into Brazil, so into the life of the character. It is a book so fully about life and death, but it doesn't try and bang you over the head with how fragile we are, or how much we should cling to life.

I haven't been moved to tears by that many things that I have read or watched (although I might be getting more emotional in my thirties) but this comic moved me to that twice. Single panels so full of emotion and with facial expressions so real, that they struck me right in the heart. If you cannot relate to this on any level I feel truly sorry for you. Once again, love takes the reigns, but the love isn't just one that is full of roses and flowers it is love full of loss, hard times, companionship and other things.

I think that art is created to make you feel something, whatever that may be. I write Foreign Matter to have people enjoy a little of what makes me happy in life. I want to share with them a moment of crazy ideas and little things that make me happy, mixed with little moments of character and emotion. Hopefully, there is a little something to make all my robots, superheroes, zombies, and whatever else I feel like enjoying that day into something that you can have a response to. I'm not expecting anyone to cry, but if making a connection to the characters by having them be a little more 'real' in your head makes you enjoy the comic more I have done my job.

Ba and Moon made their characters in Daytripper, and the environment very real by slowing things down and letting you sit with them. There is something very South American about this text, there is a hint of Gabriel Garcia Marquez in it, but it is something the boys can claim as their own.

Anyone have any comics that have moved them, feel free to post.

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment