Saturday, February 12, 2011

Working For A Living


I figure that anyone out there making an indie comic is not just making their comic. They would have to be insanely rich or some such thing just to get by. One of Jason Aaron's Where the Hell Am I? columns talked about some of the shitty jobs that he did while trying to break into the industry.

Me, I'm a guy that cuts hair for a living, but I'm also a writer. They go hand in hand. In my day job I talk to a lot of people. I talk and talk and talk, until at the end of the day I don't want to talk no more. But I talk to a lot of folk, and I talk to artists and musicians a lot (I don't work at a high-faluting place, just one that normal people come to). What I hear the most that kind of freaks me out is these people saying I'm a chef but I do this or that on the side. Y'know what that is fucking bullshit.

I've had this conversation with my mother and my brother (whom I'm close to) and it comes down to this for us. What we do in out everyday job, that is survival, we do it so that we can pay the bills and get on with out lives. I still like my job, but I love creating comics a lot too. So our day jobs is our survival mechanism. And than when we create, we are doing something from our heart and our soul and this is not to be belittled by the fact that society does not seem to think that writing comics, or making electro music, or whatever it is that you must do compels you to do . This heart and soul mechanism is just as important to you as anything else that you do, if not more.

It is funny, because when people ask me what I do I say I'm a writer and a hairdresser and they sometimes give me a weird look, but not as often as you'd think. When I was eighteen I had writer on my passport, and I never quit being one. I haven't been published (but I will have been in March), and I don't have critical acclaim, but I am a storyteller and know that in my heart.

So, the next time someone asks you what you are, don't be afraid. Tell them exactly what you are. A...


Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment