Monday, April 4, 2011

Popular Artist


Lateness has always been a factor in comics. I don't really know why. For me, no matter how amazing an artist is, if he fumbled his deadlines I would not hire him back. Keep in mind that every artist knows just how much time it takes for them to get their work done (to a certain extent) and you can schedule around that by banking issues, getting fill-in issues or arcs, or even having multiple artists on the same arc.

I also know that sometimes shit happens. People get sick, people's people get sick, and you cannot really schedule shit. That is why you have an extra issue or two sitting in a drawer just in case.

And in these situations, when the artist flubs, you don't hire them back. End of story. This is the only way you get artists to care about deadlines. Seriously. There are a lot of hungry talented artists in the world, and the big two keep on hiring guys that keep on fucking up their schedules. Why? I don't understand that. I don't.

Anyone have any reason for this?

1 comment:

  1. There may be a lot of artists in the world, but there are only so many elite artists. If you only want to work with John Romita Jr.s that's fine, but I'll wait a few weeks more for Bachalos and McNivens.

    ReplyDelete