Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Comics Swipes

So, I thought I would write a little bit about comics swipes, as I just read an article about Rob Granito and the like.

I have personally just come across something quite like this, I had a person try and get a pinup into a print version of my comic by trying to give me someone else's work.

Recently, as I have gotten my pages together to mount a print version of the first issue of Foreign Matter, I have been on web boards asking people whether or not they would like to contribute a pinup for the glory and fame of being in our magazine and ten copies of said magazine. I had a few responses, got some great people working on some fine pieces of art, but I had someone contact me with some pictures that got me super excited. The samples sent by this person had some beautiful pages penciled and inked, really slick work. How could I say no? So, I asked for some rough ideas, some quick line art so that I could see where this might progress, and what might happen.

What I got was these:



Obvious swipes of Michael Turner's Fathom. I've seen the comics, I know the work, I know they are swipes. Why would you represent yourself with artwork that is not yours?
I went back to the site and took a look and they are all pics by different artist. Al Rio, Ariel Padilla, and others. So I cut my ties with the fellow and shook my head a little. Why would you do this?

I don't know. It is something I just cannot understand. Learn your craft, or represent you artwork as it is. Who knows? I may like your style, or may put you on my facebook page, or twitter and someone will see it and like it and you will get a little recognition that way. And you will have my appreciation for having tried.

Anywho,

I'm out for today,

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment