Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Writing of the Books

Ideas. I am guessing that is what we are hired for as writers. Getting the ideas in your head and executing them on the page. I have to say that I have had some incredible ideas lately, some not-so-good ideas and some sub-par ideas, but the general ideas are coming and that is something that you cannot do without in this fucking game. Consider this, I am fairly new to this game, but I think I can bend my mind around how to do it and how to do it properly (although in retrospect if I ever read this I will smack myself in the head). I am going to elaborate on that process. I am in no way of super-pro or anything, but this is what works for me.

1. Come up with a sound idea. Like the sound of a story involving wolves that waltz at midnight on a quarter moon? Sounds great. It is! But now you have to prove to yourself that it is.

3. Why the fuck do you want to write a story about this shit? Ask yourself that question. Is there an underlying theme that you want to explore? The primal nature of dance, or the primal nature of man? Think about it, because otherwise this story won't have any meaning whatsoever, and will just be a bunch of words for the sake of being a bunch of words.

2. Do you know anything about wolves? I sure as fuck don't. So it is time to get a book or two on wolves out of your library and do a little research. Depending on the level of realism you want in a fantastic story about wolves that waltz at midnight, that is the amount of research that you want to do. I am writing a story that I have read a couple of books on boxing, watched fight footage, done some fight training and etc., just to get a small level of realism in the mind of the fighters and in my mind as I write. Preparation is great, but you don't have to get mired in it. This is fiction, if the story is great and the characters hit on a human level the audience will allow you a little wiggle room.

3. Okay you've got an idea and know something about it. Who is in this story? Characters. Who are your characters? What are they bringing to the story? What does their past look like? This will inform your character's choices throughout the story and let you know who they are.

4. Plot. Some like a nice tight plot to write from, others want to be surprised. I am somewhere in the middle with this, I think that having a nice rigid backbone of story is great, but you can break the bone a little and surge it back together in a while new direction if the opportunity presents itself. Keep it flexible-ish.

5. Write the hell out of it.

And that is a short little synopsis about how I deal with my writings. I should get on top of that right now.

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment