Thursday, October 20, 2011

Getting Things Done



So, my re-branding of Foreign Matter has begun. We are a webcomic/OGN crazy mash-up now. Why? Because that is the way my brain is working. No one knows who we are. No one will have any incentive to pick us up. I sure as hell wouldn't, although I might give us a fair chance if I saw us in the comic shop. But if people realize how great this comic really, how wonderful the artwork from German is working out, how wonderful the color art I am getting from Juan and Fico is, then we have a better chance of connecting with people, connecting to an audience.

I can't believe I'm still playing around with the first issue, I can't believe that I've become a competent letterer (although I'm sure some will say differently), I can't believe we are starting on the sixth issue and are close (I mean months here) enough to releasing our comic for people to see read and get feedback on.

When I started this blog I had no idea that things would turn out this way. We've come so far, but we haven't even started yet. I am a comics creator, I am a writer, I am proud of what I have done so far, and I'm excited about what the future holds. Do you understand the craziness that this has been. I script a comic and get the script critiqued. Some people like it, others don't, but I decide I will try to pitch it. That turns into German coming along, deciding to just jump into making this, trying to sell it, finding a publisher to publish us black and white, getting a solo title, getting an OGN, publishing online and getting 11000 readers for the first two issues, starting over again, now, as a webcomic, gambling that people will want to read our comics in both formats.

Hoping that Diamond will pick us up for distribution, hoping that, if that doesn't happen that we can get some buzz behind the book and just knock some heads off with online distribution.

Fingers crossed, this is the game that we're playing. Thanks for coming out.

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment