Sunday, November 13, 2011

Feet In Mouth


So yesterday Frank Miller took to his blog, much like myself (typing one word at a time) and blasted the hell out of the Occupy movement. It wasn't the most subtle of blogs and it pissed off a lot of people. I think a lot of people were also looking for a reason to be pissed at Frank. He has some choice words to say at NYCC, where he was going on about his new book and Islam and on and on. I am paraphrasing, but he said something about not knowing anything about it, and than saying something about terrorists.

Frank, I know you are pissed at the events of 9/11. That was a horrible moment and having just been in New York it was awakening to revisit ground zero again, but this is not a way to promote peace in the world, by consistently calling out a religion and way of life for some extremist's act of terror.

I like to think that people that read comics and especially those about men in tights saving the world, have a moral system that involves promoting peace throughout the world. I know that this is some crazy far-fetched dreaming, but I would like to think that everyone could sit at a communal table and just get along, regardless of background, religion or where they are from.

And the Occupy movement, protest and talk about frustrations, and letting people know about anger, is a good thing. It is better talked about than seething just beneath the surface waiting to erupt.

I know that these thoughts aren't groundbreaking and aren't going to solve anything, but it seems like the comics world needs some thoughts about peace and love and communication right now and I will be the one to mention them today.

Frank, I hope your anger feels serviced. Occupy movement I hope your cries are heard by someone. People of the world I hope you have a place to sleep and some food to eat. And with that I hope everyone has a lovely day.

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment