Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Image Talent Pool

I don't know if you've noticed, but Image seems to be the choice for the Big Two to go shopping for creative talent. I am looking at up and comers like Josh Williamson writing Voodoo after Ron Marz, and Nathan Edmondson on Grifter, Joshua Fialkov on I, Vampire, Dennis Hopeless on several Marvel titles, Mike Costa on Blackhawks, Ivan Brandon on Men of War, Nick Spencer on a whole bunch of Marvel titles and let us not forget Matt Fraction and Jonathan Hickman in recent years. Plus Bendis, Brubaker, and a whole slew of others that I am sure I am forgetting. And this is just on the writing side of things.

Once again, this just goes to show me what an important and vibrant company Image has turned into. On average the titles that I pick up from Image outnumber any other company (although Dark Horse might rival them) 10 to 1.

You may think that Image consists only of superhero or superhero inspired titles, and they have those and do them well (Invincible and Savage Dragon are arguably the best superhero comics today), but they have diversified in ways that I never would have expected and are better off for it.

So, when you are in the comic shop today, tomorrow, or next week, pick up one of their titles that you've never hear of. Odds are you will be supporting the next big thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment