Thursday, November 17, 2011


There is an old adage that says "Don't believe everything that you read." Today I discovered that, lo and behold, some comics news that was reported yesterday is just wrong. Joe Mad is probably not off of Avenging Spider-Man after the first arc, and The Punisher Max series was not canceled, but is over, just as Jason Aaron wanted it.

I love comics news site, and I love the gossip-y tabloid sense that a lot of these sites have (I'm looking at you Bleeding Cool). There is one thing that I don't like though, and that is when information is just plain wrong.

I'll go back an cite a moment from this summer. Remember Fanexpo? Remember when Marko Djurdjevic said some things about Marvel comics and was crucified for it. It was a moment that made me realize even things as trivial as comic book gossip are reported in such a way that is not objective. For a moment in my past I went to school to be a journalist. Finding out about the wonderful objective reporting (that does not exist in a society that has politics popping out of everywhere) that goes on in the world caused me to lose any faith I had in that system and I quit the journalism pretty quick. I was at the panel where Marko spoke and my ideas and the quotes I would have used were vastly different than what I saw. People just wanted to drag someone under the truck and it worked. Professionals from every port believed what they read and Marko took a hit professionally. And that is just an example of what goes on.

This comic repoting is a very micro version of the 'objective' journalism that we read everyday.

I think what I'm trying to say is that take what you read with a grain of salt.

And that is that.

1 comment:

  1. You know, regarding Marko Djurdjevic, that Bleeding Cool was the only site reporting the "other" poin of view from the beginning, right? 8-)

    ReplyDelete