Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Comic Writing On Hold, Until Now. So Much To Do.

There are times in your life where momentous events happen, life-changing events and you are forced to put your secondary loves on hold and check inside to see what is happening. The last six months have been an awakening moment for me, something that really jarred me back into the world. That said, lets talk about comics.

I haven't read any in awhile, so I don't know what is going on. I frequent Bleeding Cool so I have some idea of what is happening in the industry, Brian Wood is hitting on women and the president of Archie is entirely insane. Two totally different stories, but people seemed equally scandalized. Oh yes, and Shia Lebouf has been taking ideas from Dan Clowes without asking him. Ah, the comic book industry, we really are in need of a scandal, and sometimes we really have them too.

As far as I'm going...I am finishing off Foreign Matter as we speak. Lettering is in full bore, and I have the final three pages of art and the art for a short that I need to letter. Comics have taken a bit of a back seat as I concentrate on prose, both fiction and non-fiction, but I believe they will always have a place in my heart, that I will always come back to play with the artists that I have made connections with. In the meantime I am going to write about what I think of the comics industry and the way that it works from right here, and hopefully I can get a little of insight into things as I go along.

I am really considering doing a kickstarter campaign this spring, so I am going to start researching that in a major way, putting my time in and getting ready to roll out a campaign where I have no idea what will happen. How will I film my trailer and make it amazing? What incentives will I be able to give to people? How will I do this without going broke? Won't a publisher just take the comic and run with it. Why won't someone just pay me a shitload of money to color and pubish it. Sigh.

Nothing is easy in life, especially for the comic book author. Remember that boys and girls. Remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment